Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What a day! What a day!


Yesterday my tooth broke. One third fell out while I was crunching away some oven roasted green beans. A little later while having dinner another one third added to my collection. Since it is a dead tooth, thank God for that, there was no pain. So I thought I'd go to the dentist today to see if he could salvage this stark emptiness in my mouth.

This morning my mom came home and told me she fell into the drain while visiting my dad who is having his chemo done in the hospital. She showed me her enormously swollen hand and I lost my cool asking her why she came home when she should have gone straight to the doctors.

When we calmed down, me especially, I got my cousin to drive us to the clinic to check and see if it was any serious. After a long long wait the general practitioner, Dr. Lim Hock Gee, told us it was a common occurrence for little old ladies to fall and fracture their wrists and the next thing to do was to go to an orthopedic surgeon to get it fixed in a cast.

And so we headed for the Taiping Medical Center to get my mom the proper medical attention. It was 1.30pm and we hadn't had lunch and I didn't have much money in my pocket. I got me mom to the x-ray department after a quick lunch and then to the bank for a large withdrawal, or at least large enough for me.

Soon we were at the ward waiting for the surgeon, Dr. T. Moses, after two and waited until he was available at about four. While my mom was getting her treatment I went for a teh tarik to catch my breath because the entire day literally fell on me like the sky did on chicken little.

It all seem like a dream. Like a story I have yet to write. Like some scene out of a play or movie. When it was over at 6 we came back home and found that the dog ate up a chunk of meat my mom bought earlier which we forgot to refrigerate.

Now that we have showered and rested from the day I am still vaguely awake from this incredible day.

I thank all the staff at the Taiping Medical Centre for being courteous, caring and kind. Tonight I can sleep well knowing my mom's fine but my tooth remains broken as a reminder that life is so so fragile.

No comments: