Sunday, January 24, 2010

Welcome to my World!

Yesterday I had 2 very peculiar incidences with a friend. While we were having dinner a couple came to sit next to our table instead of choosing one that could have given them more privacy and space since the entire open air sitting was literally empty, except for few diners.

The next thing we knew the woman was talking at the top of her voice, "What the f**k are you doing talking now when I don't want to hear you talk? When I want to talk to you, you don't want to talk..." Not exactly the words but it sort of sounded something like that.

My friend and I tried to ignore the situation and eat our Nga Poh Yoke fan and Chau Koey Teow and talk about other things instead. The woman kept on ranting for a while and the guy who was with her was whispering back. The last thing I heard was, "I want to go back now!", said the woman but they continued to sit there until we left.

Next, we hung out at this fast food joint to the net and waves of people came and went like the tsunami. From screaming kids to dating couples to geeky net surfers. There was a family who came in like a storm and seized everyone's attention. And then when their Skype was on the woman spoke so loudly we all knew how she felt about the guy on the other end in another country.

She kept saying I miss you dearie, I miss you dearie, like hell-o you're in a public place and we all don't need to know that right? And then she call an entire cast and crew of family members to say 'hi' to the man in the computer.

I find it so amazing how some people want audiences to partake in their ritual of life. It's almost like calling for attention with the tagline: 'Look at me, look at me damnit!'. It's also known as making a scene, but whatever for?

Maybe Shakespeare was right when he wrote:
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;

4 comments:

gingertom said...

Funny day you had! :D

Julya said...

I think everyone's day is funny I guess I was just being observant

Chet said...

I must tell you about the incident I observed during lunch the other day.

I was eating in a shop well known for its herbal teas and gway-leng go (turtle jelly). A couple came in and took the table right next to me.

The table was already laid with chopsticks and soups but the waitress took away the chopsticks and brought a container of the jelly and two bowls. She placed the container in the middle. The man proceeded to spoon the jelly into his bowl and started to eat.

The woman just sat there. No conversation between the two of them. The man didn't offer her the jelly, nothing. Finally, she got up and walked off.

The man finished the jelly, got up to pay and left.

I was still enjoying my herbal chicken rice.

Julya said...

Hahah Chet,

Thanks a nice scene that says so much!