Friday, March 26, 2010

Visions of death

Last night I watched a Japanese movie call Suwîto rein: Shinigami no seido or Accuracy of Death or Sweet Rain and it was about the Grim Reaper doing his job.

With a grim reaper like Takeshi Kaneshiro, death might actually be something to look forward to. Brad Pitt and Robert Redford too played death in their own versions with Meet Joe Black and Nothing in the Dark, a Twilight Zone series.

But when it comes to the real thing, like this morning when I received a message about a friend who is in a critical condition in the hospital, I felt a twist in the stomach and an ache in the heart. The feeling of loss was the first reaction although I am one who would rather celebrate death as a new beginning. When I think about it I am more open and able to accept my own death than of someone else's, especially someone who is very close to my heart.

I also want to believe that the angel of death that comes to our door is the one we expect. To some it may be a nightmare from hell, to another it may be Morgan Freeman, but to me they will be all the animals and pets I loved before and perhaps one friend whom I lost when I was a kid.

Death can be a tearful event but it needn't be an expiry to love and hope.

No comments: