Monday, September 27, 2010

If you stop thinking about yourself for once

If you stop thinking about yourself for once
you will see that there are other people around you.
People who may need comfort, people who may need love,
and people who may need a little just to get through.

If you stop thinking about yourself for once
you may realize that the pet you are to buy
will be nothing more than another toy
for you to play with, for you to own until it dies.

If you stop thinking about yourself for once
you will see the bigger picture of your life.
Rather than nitpick the small and insignificant ounce
and appreciate what your small mind can derive.

If you stop thinking about yourself for once
and stop talking about what luxuries you can possess.
Be humble for the precious things you have
instead of being so frightfully obsessed.

If you stop thinking about yourself for once
maybe you will learn to understand.
What it's like to be whole again,
what it's like when you're not vain.

Ultimately, if you stop thinking about yourself for once
you may actually feel a little more love.
From the people you ignore and from the things that you abhor
and actually know what kindness is truly for.

5 comments:

Daniel H said...

A great poem, very emotional. i also write poetry, please check ac ouple out on my site and feel free to comment http://manmaid13.blogspot.com/ i will be following your updates i look forward to more great verse

Julya said...

Thanks Daniel, am cheking your site now :P

Ashriel said...

Why can't archy type well? Hell, I think he types beautifully. Poetic license you say, bullshit. It's just Beauty. How easy we have come to forget that it is better to be part of Beauty for one instant and cease forever than to live an eternity and not be part of Beauty.
I still carry "the lesson of the moth in my wallet and have it stuck on my wall above my bed next to "If".
You saved me when I was too young to understand - trying to construe all the maddening insanity around, masked in a farcical facade.
You said "Go. You don't belong here."You also said "You got a Beautiful Soul." I was a tad young then to fully understand what that simple phrase meant. Today, I look at it as the epitome of all niceities that you can say about someone. I tell everyone about you. About what a Beautiful Soul you have.
I knew the first day in class when I saw "the lesson of the moth" on the projector. I knew again when you asked whose photograph was that of the cemetery.
I will always remember the things you said. How you stop a class to have a short talk about courtesy i.e. how sad that people don't allow passers-by to cross whilst stuck bumper-to-bumper. You once said, don't look down at those who seem lost and sit at the back. Thank You for understanding. I listened. I remember. I love you.
I've been meaning to email you for a long time. Too much just going on.
This poem you wrote is so Beautiful.
If you stop thinking about yourself for once
maybe you will learn to understand.
What it's like to be whole again,
what it's like when you're not vain.

Ultimately, if you stop thinking about yourself for once
you may actually feel a little more love.
From the people you ignore and from the things that you abhor
and actually know what kindness is truly for.

Thank You. Thank You for being you. Thank You for your bravado. Thank You for letting me know it's okay to be mawkish sometimes; it's ok to be idealistic - I still love Che. I would cry if still could when I read his diaries.

Thank You, Maám.

I will email you soon.

P.S. I don't want to sign off for I believe you will figure it out. If not, have some fun. Mind boggle you a bit.

HUgs. Love.

Ashriel said...

Blast it...I had to sign in. So it's so obviousla now :)

Julya said...

Ashwin...