Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Queen of TMI


The first time I saw the abbreviation I was dumbfounded. What the hell was TMI? It was written all over my manuscript in red and I knew it was not good. So, I googled it and found that TMI stood for 'too much information'.  I didn't bother to think any more about it other than I knew my manuscript was in good hands.

It was later when other editors, directors and actors told me about the TMI syndrome that I seemed to be infected with made me realize I must really be the Queen of TMI. I know I shouldn't do it. I know how I disliked it in books, articles, movies and plays and yet I still do it. 

What in the name of TMI am I doing?

I recently wrote a play with TMI sticking out like an offensive finger and got shot down like an enemy plane. Though the comments were laden with heavy artillery they shook me out of the EGO tower and slapped me a few times before I woke up from my concussion of errors.

What the hell! After reading the play a few more times and listening to another reading I would have shot myself in the face if the play had been staged.

By nature I am a very quiet person, that's what I'd like to believe, but when it comes to writing I flood my tales with excessive descriptions and unnecessary dialogues, kind of like B-grading them to some extent. I keep forgetting to show and tell all instead and water down all the mystery and magic.

If you've ever been in this situation, remember TMI is not a good sign and being a queen about it ain't gonna get you crowned.

No comments: